The mission of the 1:1 Chromebook program is to create a collaborative environment that enhances student engagement and promotes the development of self-directed learning. Students will transition from consumers of information to co-creators of knowledge.
The Chromebook provides students access to educational materials, web-based tools, and Google Workspace for Education. The supplied device is an educational tool not intended for gaming, social networking or high end computing.
This document outlines the policies and procedures for student use and guidelines for students and families to protect the device issued by the Connellsville Area School District.
Issuance and Collection of Chromebooks
- Every student will be issued a Chromebook upon entering Kindergarten, Fourth Grade, and Eighth Grade; or upon enrollment in the District. This device is the property of the Connellsville Area School District, but individual students will be responsible for the care of their issued Chromebook until a new device is issued or until withdrawal from the District.
- Students leaving the District must return the District-owned Chromebook to the Media Center of their respective school. Any Chromebook not returned upon the withdrawal of the will be considered stolen property and law enforcement agencies will be notified.
- Chromebooks will be examined for damage and fees may be issued if damage is found to be beyond normal wear and tear.
Use of the Chromebook
- The District’s Acceptable Use Policy applies to all student use of Chromebook devices. The student, in whose name a system account and/or Chromebook hardware is issued, will be responsible at all times for its appropriate use. Noncompliance with the policies of this document will result in disciplinary action.
- Chromebooks are subject to content filtering both in school and at home. Any attempt to bypass the content filtering, including, but not limited to accessing the following will result in disciplinary action: alcohol, drugs, gang related symbols, guns, inappropriate language, pornographic materials, weapons, or anything else deemed inappropriate by Connellsville Area School District staff
- In addition to teacher expectations for daily classroom use, Chromebooks will be used to access school announcements, calendars, grades, and schedules. At-home use of the Chromebook is encouraged.
- Students are expected to bring their completely charged Chromebook to school for use in class each day. A fully charged Chromebook’s battery should last an entire school day. Failure to bring a completely charged device may affect daily achievement grades or lead to other consequences. Repeat violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action.
- If a student leaves their Chromebook at home, they will be permitted to call their parent/guardian to bring the device to school. This should occur before the school day starts or during lunch time to reduce distractions during the school day. Students unable to contact a parent/guardian may use a “Classroom Loaner”, if available. If no loaner devices are available, the student must comply with teacher-specific classroom procedures for completion of assignments.
- Students will only be able to login using their assigned @casdedu.org Google account. To ensure account security, students should not share their password and should log out of their Chromebook when not in use. Account login information can be supplied to a student by the Media Center staff.
- Sound should remain muted unless permission is granted from the teacher. Students are encouraged to purchase a pair of headphones/earbuds for personal use. The District will not supply headphones.
- The District encourages the digital exchange of information by sharing and/or emailing communication and assignments. Printing from the Chromebooks will not be available.
Chromebook Care Guidelines
- Chromebooks must have a CASD barcode label on them at all times; this tag must not be removed or altered in any way. Chromebooks must remain free of any writing, drawing, or stickers.
- Clean the Chromebook with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or antistatic cloth. If a more thorough screen cleaning is required, lightly dampen a clean microfiber cloth with water. Do not use any type of cleaning solvent on your Chromebook.
- Screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure on the screen. Do not lean on or place heavy objects on the top of the device when it is closed. Do not poke the screen with anything that will mark or scratch its surface or place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens or pencils).
- Food or drink should never be placed near the Chromebook.
- Cords, cables, and removable storage devices must be inserted and removed carefully.
- Transport Chromebooks with care. Lids should remain closed and tightly secured when moving. Never move a Chromebook by lifting from the screen. Always support a Chromebook from its bottom with the lid closed. Never transport the Chromebook with the power cord plugged in.
- Cases will not be provided by the District but may be purchased from many retailers. It is suggested that students get a case to transport their Chromebooks back and forth to the school.
- To prevent overheating, Chromebooks should never be left in a car. Vents must not be blocked in any way.
- Under no circumstances should Chromebooks be left in an unsupervised area including cafeterias, locker rooms, media centers, unlocked classrooms, on top of lockers, restrooms, hallways, or outside. If an unsupervised Chromebook is found, notify a staff member immediately. Disciplinary action may be taken for leaving a Chromebook in an unsupervised location.
Chromebooks Needing Repair
- Chromebooks that are broken, or fail to work properly, must be taken to the Media Center of their respective school as soon as possible. Depending on the severity of the issue, a “Daily Loaner” may be issued right away.
- All repairs must be handled by District IT Staff. Students and families should never attempt to fix a broken Chromebook. Do not take District owned Chromebooks to an outside computer service for any type of repairs or maintenance. The District will not issue reimbursements for outside repair services.
- Students and/or families will be responsible for any damages caused to their District-issued Chromebook. If a device is lost or stolen the student and/or family will be responsible to replace the Chromebook. Optional insurance is available through the District for $25.00 per year.
Examples of charges for Chromebook Repair:
Replacement of damaged/lost Chromebook: $200.00
Replacement of screen: $75.00
Replacement of keyboard/touchpad: $50.00
Replacement power cord: $20.00
Google Privacy Notice
Google Workspace for Education accounts (including Gmail) will be given to all students in the Connellsville Area School District. The only identifiable information provided to Google will be the student's name and the District provided email address. Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes. Additional Services require parental consent for students under the age of 13. In order to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), we must also provide a process for opting out of these services. If you feel it would be best for your child not to utilize these tools, please contact your child’s school to request information on opting out.
Optional Insurance Program
Optional insurance is available for purchase from the District which will cover the repair or replacement cost of one broken, lost, or stolen device. The cost is $25 for one device, $45 for two, and $70 for three or more. Coverage purchased in the previous year will continue to be honored until the end of the open enrollment period. Open enrollment for insurance will begin August 28, 2023 and continue through September 15, 2023. After the open enrollment period, insurance will only be available to new students entering the District. The optional insurance may be purchased as follows: